FIVE CRISES IN UCT’S HISTORY
Emeritus Professor Howard Phillips, Emeritus Professor Anwar Mall, Dr James Leatt, University of Cape Town
Looking back over the university’s 101-year history, the five lectures in this course will focus on five episodes which posed serious challenges to the operation and character of the institution. The course will seek to determine the causes of each crisis, how the university understood these, how effective it was in addressing each crisis and how far doing so did (or did not) change the institution.
- World War II Prof Howard Phillips
- The onset of apartheid Prof Howard Phillips
- The student sit-in of 1968 Prof Howard Phillips
- The states of emergency of the 1980s: a personal perspective Dr James Leatt
- The Fallist movement: a personal perspective Prof Anwar Mall
Phillips, H. 1993. UCT 1918–1948: The Formative Years. Cape Town: UCT & UCT Press.
Phillips, H. 2019. UCT under Apartheid, volume 1, 1948–1968: From Onset to Sit-in.