Illicit trade 101: the who, what, where, when and why of contraband trade
ILLICIT TRADE 101: THE WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN AND WHY OF CONTRABAND TRADE
Telita Snyckers, author and illicit trade expert
The course offers an overview of the types and extent of illicit trade, both locally in South Africa and globally, exploring some of them briefly (pharmaceuticals, fuel, wildlife and tyres) and others in more depth (alcohol and tobacco). This course focuses on how illicit trade manifests itself, what drives it, who the key players are, what its impact on society is, and how to curb it. It also looks at the impact and consequences of the recent alcohol and tobacco ban in South Africa.
- Types and extent of illicit trade
- Illicit tobacco: players and profit
- The impact of the ban of alcohol and tobacco sales in South Africa
- Curbing illicit trade generally: policy options, enforcement tactics, analytics
- Curbing illicit tobacco: more on policy options, production controls and traceability
This course will be offered on Microsoft Teams. Participants will receive a link.
Snyckers, T. 2020. Dirty Tobacco: Spies, Lies and Mega Profits. Cape Town: Tafelberg.