SOME GREAT MOMENTS IN MODERN MEDICINE
Emeritus Professor and Senior Scholar Anwar Suleman Mall, Department of Surgery, UCT
1. Introductory lecture: a discussion around the choices made by Friedman and Friedland
2. The history of genetics: from Mendel and Darwin to Watson and Crick
3. Epigenetics: the new revolution in the twenty-first century
4. The discovery of anaesthesia
5. William Harvey’s blood circulation: the best discovery?
Carey, N. 2011. The epigenetics revolution: how modern biology is rewriting our understanding of genetics disease and inheritance. Icon Books.
Friedman, M. and Friedland, G. 2000. Medicine’s 10 greatest discoveries. New Haven, U.S.A.: Yale University Press.
Judson, H.F. 1980. The eighth day of creation. Makers of the revolution in biology. United States: Touchstone Books.
Watson, J.D. 1970. The Double Helix. A personal account of the discovery of the structure of DNA. New Zealand: Penguin Books.