WRITING FOR TEENS AND YOUNG ADULTS
Pamela Newham, writer
This course explores the fundamental elements of writing teen and young adult (YA) books . Each session will be run as a workshop-lecture with time given for advice, discussion, writing and feedback . Participants will examine aspects of writing such as how to source ideas, character creation and dialogue, plotting and setting, writing humour and creating suspense . Different genres of teen fiction, changing trends and how to get published will also be addressed.
1. Getting started: ideas are like rabbits
2. Characters and dialogue: love and hate
3. Story and setting: how JK Rowling got it right
4. Technique: writing funny and other tricks
5. Publishing: a book in the hand …